Edible Gifts: Last-minute lifesavers
This year has been a bit of a manic one, so festive recipes have a been a little thin on the ground, however I have been in the kitchen this week attempting to wrap up Christmas.
There are no better gifts than those you make at home, and for me, those that you can eat; especially recipes that can be made with just a handful of store cupboard ingredients!
Biscotti are super simple to make and only consists of 4 basic ingredients; flour, baking powder, eggs and sugar. What you add from there on in is totally up to you, making them the ideal personalised present.
For a bit of twist this year I have opted for zesty apricot, lime and pistachio biscotti, but for more traditional festive flavour for Auntie Suzy why not try cranberry and orange, or dark chocolate and ginger for Granddad John!
Once baked and cooled, decorate liberally with chocolate and nuts if desired. Wrap in parchment paper and tie with twine for some lovely last-minute gifts.
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 200g shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 75g white chocolate, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lime, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/Gas 2.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Stir in the beaten eggs to form a firm dough. Add the apricots, pistachios, chocolate and lime to the dough and incorporate using your hands. Once all the ingredients are fully combined, turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Split the dough in two and form two log shapes 4 - 5 cm in diameter and 15 - 20cm in length. Place both logs on a lined baking tray leaving plenty of room between each to allow for growth. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 - 10 minutes to allow the dough to slightly firm up. Slice the logs, on the diagonal, into thick slices.
- Place the slices to the baking tray and return to the oven for a further 25 minutes. Once crisp all the way through and lightly golden, remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate with melted chocolate and chopped nuts or zest.