Monday Morning Muffin
With Somerset battling with another bout of bad weather, and flood levels on the moors becoming dangerously high, the only option is to stay in and BAKE!
After earlier on in the week taking advantage of the Seville orange season, and jarring up numerous pots of this golden amber, I now have a cupboard full of delicious marmalade bursting with colour and flavour.
So, with the beginning of the working week looming over us all on this dreary Sunday, I thought I would create a recipe using my homemade marmalade to make something that would come as light relief early on Monday morning – my English Breakfast Muffins were born!
Not your conventional English muffin, this easy to make, cake-based muffin, combines all the ingredients of a perfect breakfast into a quick ‘grab and go’ snack to kick start your day. With a wholemeal, English breakfast tea sponge, a granola top, and an oozing marmalade core, this muffin not only ticks the boxes nutrients wise, it offers a much needed early morning sugar boost on the go.
Make today, and have extra 10 minutes in bed tomorrow…and Tuesday, and Wednesday…!
- 190g Wholemeal Self-raising Flour
- 160g Caster Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g Butter
- 2 Tea Bags (flavour of choice – I used English Breakfast)
- 60ml Boiling Water
- 80ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- Jar of Marmalade
- 3 tbsp of Oats
- 2 tbsp of Mixed Seeds
- 1 tbsp of Demerara Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas 5/180ºC. Cream together the sugar and butter using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Make the tea using 2 tea bags, water and milk, and set aside.
- Once the butter and sugar is creamed to a pale consistency, add the eggs one at a time along with a spoonful of flour to avoid the mixture from curdling – Mix well just until the eggs are combined.
- Pour in the tea mixture before folding in all the flour – careful not to over-mix as this will deflate your batter. Once sufficiently combined, spoon half the mixture between 12 muffin cases, before creating a small well in the centre of the batter.
- Add a teaspoon of marmalade into each well, then top with the remaining batter ensuring you cover the marmalade to avoid burning. In a separate bowl, mix together the muffin topping ingredients, before generously sprinkling over each muffin.
- Place muffins in the oven and bake for 15-20mins – when a skewer inserted into the muffins is removed cleanly, they are done. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy as an accompaniment to afternoon tea, or as the perfect breakfast on the run!